Ghor, Petra, and Camel Selfies

All the tomatoes our group picked

All the tomatoes our group picked

These past few weeks have been a true roller coaster of events, emotions, unfortunate occurrences, and amazing and unforgettable excursions. But for now I will talk about two high points of the past couple weeks, which are the two excursions I went on with my group. The first one was to Ghor, a farming community by the Dead Sea that has historically struggled with discrimination, poverty, and unemployment. We met with an organization there called Zikra, which focuses on cultural exchange (rather than charity) to achieve social development. They emphasize the wealth of talent of the people of Ghor. We picked tomatoes with them, then learned how to make various crafts and helped cook lunch. We also ate with them, drank tea, and learned how to “dabke,” which is an Arab folk dance common in Jordan.

Learning to make flowers out of plastic

Learning to make flowers out of plastic

The group, doing crafts

The group, doing crafts

"Jamel" - جمل

“Jamel” – جمل

Last weekend we traveled a couple hours past the Dead Sea and Ghor to the south-west part of Jordan, where Petra is located. The site was the capital city of the Nebataeans, built around 300 BC. As you enter the area, you walk for about a mile through a narrow gorge called “The Siq,” which was split open by earthquakes in the region. The rock walls are a beautiful combination of colors which look slightly different depending on the time of day. Along the way we saw horses, donkeys, and camels passing us from both directions. As we approached the end of the passage, we caught a glimpse of Petra’s most famous and elaborate structure — the treasury. It’s actually built in the rock face, and archeologists have determined that it was built from top to bottom; the Nebataeans engineered and built the structure by carving out the rock section by section until they reached the ground. The Siq opened up to a stunning view of this structure.

IMG_6702editS

Beautiful rock face

IMG_6721editS

The siq

IMG_6761editS

First glimpse of the treasury

IMG_6765edit3S

The treasury

But the sights didn’t end there. We continued past the treasury to see more structures, mostly tombs, as well as caves.

IMG_6822editS

Tombs and such

IMG_6828editS

Camels everywhere

IMG_6858editS

More historic structures that I don’t remember what they are

The monastery

The monastery

From there we took a 40 minute hike up the mountain (almost 1,000 steps), passing a dozen little shops selling touristy trinkets, until we finally reached an absolutely breathtaking view that overlooks Jordan and Israel/Palestine. I cannot even begin to describe how beautiful and amazing it was up there, and the pictures do not do it justice. (But look at them anyway, because it took forever to edit them all.)

IMG_6876editS

Climbing the almost 1,000 steps

Best view in the world

It truly felt like the top of the world

View of the monastery from above

Overlooking the monastery

IMG_6941editS

Check out that sky

The Jordanian flag at the top of Petra

We made it to the top!

More beauty

Both Ghor and Petra were great places to go to escape city life, which is something I think I had been needing. Amman is wonderful in its own ways, but for someone not used to living in a large city for so long, leaving it felt like a relief. It was hard to get on the bus and head back, especially from Petra. I could have spent hours more at the top of that mountain. But for now, it’s back to life in Amman, school, and trying not to behave like a tourist.

But I mean, being a tourist is okay sometimes, especially if it means you now have a selfie with a camel…

Camel Selfie

Jamel selfie!

1 comment for “Ghor, Petra, and Camel Selfies

1. Virginia Walker
    April 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Going to Jordan was differently a good choice. Thanks for sharing.